Tuesday, June 22, 2010

weekend recap

Saturday was a busy day for me. I babysat overnight Friday, so I stayed with my two little darlings until their parents arrived home about 10am Saturday morning. I left from there and went straight uptown to help my Dad finish up at his store. Ate lunch with him & Mom, then came home to clean up a bit and get ready for a bridal shower for a friend of mine, April. Such a great shower! I really like the idea of a drop-in shower thing. You get a chance to mingle & chit-chat a lot more :) Anyhow, after the shower, I came home picked up my darling and we headed to Tybee Island. For Father's Day, we decided to go ahead and take my Dad out to eat at the Crab Shack so Sunday he could relax and do whatever he wanted to do. He had been hinting along and along that he wanted to go. Every time somebody would pass him by with their t-shirt on, he would comment "that must be a really good place to eat!". And it was! It was packed out! 

Dad's seafood platter!

My love & I
So Sunday rolls around. We wake up at the crack of dawn [6ish at least] and decide to order breakfast to take to Cliffs Dad and family. After breakfast we did a quick change of clothes and got ready for church. 
I love a lazy Sunday. After church, we grilled a few hamburgers & lounged around in the pool for hours.

Next stop, my Dad's.
I wasn't feeling the low country boil [since I stuffed myself with boiled shrimp and crab legs the night before at the Crab Shack], so I drove my little truck into town and picked up a few items. Watermelons= check! Condensed milk= check!



I decided I was going to make homemade ice cream [with the help of my father, of course]. This is somewhat of a little family tradition. Every summer, on numerous random occasions, we make homemade ice cream. Howeverrrrr, when my Mom read me the recipe over the phone, we had everything but evaporated milk. So at the grocery store, along with my watermelons, I was going to grab a few cans of evaporated milk............
HA, my poor pea memory got the best of me yet again. I bought 5 half sized cans of condensed milk! Gracious me!

Believe it or not, I got pretty lucky. Our two next door neighbors (my Grandma and Aunt) both had one can each of evaporated milk! Success!!

Since the lightening/thundering was carrying on outside, we took the ice cream-making process into our big shed.
The recipe is delicious! You have to give it a try. 

All you need is:
 6 large eggs
2 tablespoons of flour
1/2 gallon of milk
2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
1 medium sized bowl to whisk the eggs
2 1/2 cups of sugar
1 can of evaporated milk
1 can of vanilla ensure (Dad's secret ingredient)
rock salt


and an ice cream churn.


add together eggs, flour, and sugar. 
then add to this flavoring, evaporated milk, and whole milk. put into ice cream maker and add ice and sprinkle rock salt until ready.

Wait 30-45 minutes until the churn comes to a stop. Then, this is what you will get.




Lots of smiling faces holding little red dixie cups filled with vanilla homemade ice cream! :)


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun weekend! Homemade ice cream is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitlin - I adore your blog! It's so lovely and it will be so much fun to read since I, too, am planning a wedding! You and your finace are a beautiful couple, and you seriously have the prettiest hair I have ever seen on anyone! Happy planning! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete